Sunday, May 14, 2023

King Kong Rhino in Taipei

 I was able to see the huge rhino sculpture called King Kong Rhino in Taipei, in early April. I was so excited there !!

It is about 5 meters long, 3 meters high, and weighs 5 tons.











When you are too close to King Kong Rhino, you can’t tell what it is !



Taiwanese financial tycoon, Mr.Chen Wugan, head of the Kelti Group has erected this giant rhino statue as public art in front of their building, in the middle of the financial district.


Manhattan's Wall Street in the U.S has a famous statue of a large male bull.

Photo(C)Christian Hondros

Mr.Chen Wugan hopes that Taipei's financial district will also prosper like Wall Street with " King Kong Rhino"

.

King Kong Rhino is the work of Taiwanese sculptor Shih Li-Jen.

With this work, he wants to tell people about the endangered rhinoceros.


It is evident from his following words.


I’ve always considered the rhino as a creature which is close to me. 

It’s always been sorrowful to me to follow the news about the endangered life of rhinos in the world 

and therefore I decided to create a work aimed at witnessing its beauty and make people aware about the concrete risk of extinction that rhinos run.

https://www.forevermark.com/en/now-forever/protecting-forever/world-rhino-day/


Unfortunately, the caption board says nothing about the rhino extinction crisis.

I think that's disappointing.



This wide open plaza with the huge rhino sculpture would be the perfect place for an event where many people could gather and think about the future of the endangered rhinos.


I hope that one day such an event will be held at this place.


And if I have the chance to visit Taipei again, I would like to see King Kong Rhino in the dark of night.




After my trip to Taiwan, I highly suggest that everyone go see King Kong Rhino if they have a chance to visit Taipei. I hope that King Kong Rhino will become as popular a tourist attraction as the nearby Taipei 101.


Related article : (J) 台北の巨大サイ彫刻 、King Kong RHINO https://sainomimy.exblog.jp/30312177/




No comments: